Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Homeland security. A lawyer should answer or anyone else who might know the answer?

I travelled tp Europe several times last year and once this year to visit my sick parents ( Cancer). Everytime I get back into the US ( I am a US citizen), the immigration officer asks me how long I have been gone, what was the purpose of my trip, and how many and which countries I have visited. I do not have any problems answering his/her questions, but I believe that all those questions are answered right on their computer screen. My question is the following: '' Do I have to answer their questions? I thaught that we have the right, and even encouraged to visit as many countries as possible as long as those countries were not at war with the US like Cuba for example. I do not mind being truthful, but it seems like these questions are a bit intrusive and it bothers me. Please elaborate if you can. I did notice that the Europeans do not ask such questions at all. Thanks for your replies.



Homeland security. A lawyer should answer or anyone else who might know the answer?adware



The quick answer is you must answer their questions if you want to enter the country. Some of the questions are asked to verify your identity by comparing the nations you list with those stamped on your passport. Others are to make sure you are honest about what you are bringing into the country. Knowing how long you are out of the country allows them to determine how much you are allowed to bring back before duties are levied.



Homeland security. A lawyer should answer or anyone else who might know the answer?antivirus scan



According to Customs Law, they have to ask those questions, and when you think about it, they're really not personally intrusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment